Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Cure says...Boys Don't Cry?

Currently listening to The Cure's Boys Don't Cry right now...on this glorious warm night of Cinco de Drinko (de Mayo?).  I had me some 2 bottles of Guinness, and 2 glasses of a delicious white wine whose name has somehow slipped my mind.  I.e., feeling quite enlightened.  So please read on....

A current, and constant topic between my always-insightful and ever-curious roommate and myself: males.  Our latest agreement: "Males are the weaker sex, clearly."  Ha.  While I humorously agree with this I also ask myself what is the definition of weaker?  After a hearty number of experiences with the ball-bearing class I have truly come to realize that they are just as sensitive as their curvy ovarian counterparts, or really, are equally as likely to fall prey to feeling like a victim to those circumstances which hurt and break, but they're conditioned to leave it unarticulated.  One of my Life Hobbies, as I call it, is getting to know someone.  Sounds pretty general, but really, I just love learning about people and understanding their antics, noticing their patterns, and picking their brains when possible.  Gosh, I just love people.  By learning about you, I learn about myself!  (We are a fascinating species).  But in getting to know males: boys, guys, men....or, another coined term of mine is the quintessential "manboy"....(the guy who seems to have his shit together but then kind of flakes?  Yep, that's a Manboy, and I adore them too!).....I have realized that there truly is such a stigma in existence that targets the expression of sentiment by males, and defines it as cliche, gay, or, like I've even stated, "weak."

But it isn't weak.  If only guys were allowed the space to be sappy, to admit to feeling like they might want to cry, or an acknowledgment of vulnerability.  I don't think our American culture truly makes room for that, free of judgment.  Old news, I know, but really, I've discovered this for myself.  This could be why I am attracted to guys who are artistic/creative, or guys who appreciate children, (ok, not like that) because art and youth are media that make exceptions to the rules of closed-minded adulthood at all times.  There are no boundaries.  There are no guidelines.  Anything goes when you have the freedom to write, say, paint what you want, or be as goofy as Goofy himself.  And shit, I like a dude who is real.  It's just too bad our society feeds them a daily dose of "masculinity" which means they bury that freedom, that life inside; they don't feel it publicly or consciously, they move on quickly, and...of course, they for Goodness' sake don't cry.

But, that's just a generalization so I can validate my own overly-sentimental feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment