Saturday, April 9, 2011

Too much, too often, too little or too late do I live my life in haste from time to time.  I'm too slow when it comes to immediate answers or confirmation, and I can be too impatient when I want the answers now!  I slack-line my way through life, a tight-rope teeter totter and balance act of What do I do now? What's my next move?  I'm impossible when it comes to many things that require on-the-spot decision making.  I prefer weighing each side.  And that's my blessing and my burden: I can always see both sides of the same coin.  I might not agree with either side, or I might just agree with both.  But if I'm in the right mood....I can be so spontaneous and live in dime-dropping snap decisions for a short and charged moment in time.  (But that gets a little stressful!).

Whenever I want to hit the reset button, I go for a run.  There, between the creamsicle dream skyline and the blackened hillside cut-outs, I feel separated from distractions and connected to all that is greater than myself.  Then I feel whole again.  Calm, open-chested, ready for a challenge because I have finally unwound myself and let go of the trivia that clouds my very precious brain.  With my hip injury, I hadn't been able to run for several months.  It was sort of cool because I re-explored other forms of exercise: swimming, biking, yoga.....but nothing was comparable to that cathartic heart-beat thump-thump order of my feet slapping the pavement.  I have gotten back into running in the past 2 weeks, and it feels wonderful.  I am grateful every time I do it with less and less pain! 

The only reason why running has been suddenly more successful is because I discovered (again and again in so many forms of my life) that I need to slow down.  Slow down and listen to life's nuances.  Ice and stretch before, ice and stretch after!  Don't run 2 days in a row.  That's all it takes!  A month ago I randomly went for a run and neglected to ice and stretch afterwards.  I then had to resort to my vicodin.  Bad.

I suppose it's all about balance, but in a peaceful, ready and calm approach.  I am seeing that manifest in my life daily.  Hopefully for the better more and more.

2 comments:

  1. I'm the guy that has to look at EVERY movie, and EVERY item on the menu so I can make sure I'm not missing anything to be comfortable with my choice. I call it the Engineer Mind. I enjoy that side of myself but I like it even more when I can just turn it off and go with that flow...so much more fun.

    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu running though :) Give me a bike.

    Hi Steph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave! Dan davezeiser.......

    ReplyDelete