Sunday, February 13, 2011

Multiple Valentines

My dad has told me on numerous occasions that if I am to be successful, I must marry a rich man, and soon.  Of course I don't believe that, of course I find it rather insulting, and of course I know that the differences in our generations are greatly expressed in his concern for my welfare.  And on the eve of Valentine's Day (as I stuff my face with chocolates, ignoring the fact that I've had a sore throat all day), I just wonder about my future in love.  Who will I end up with?  Have I met them yet?  When?  And will I end up with anyone?  Is it even just that simple?  Honestly, I don't really think so.  I don't believe in "The One" because we are humans; minds are ever-changing, circumstances alter us, affect us all in different ways, we react and create and shift with time.    It takes a lot of effort and willingness to roll with the punches and still maintain a healthy romance, and it is possible, obviously!  But I think there is someone for each of us at different times in our lives.  We may be suitable for several.  So how do you know?

I have encountered many females in my lifetime who whisk on that extra coat of mascara before leaving the house just "in case" they run into their Future Husband in public.  Gotta look good!  Or they just can't stay home because What if?  What if "He's" out there, somewhere tonight?  I really appreciate this mode of thinking, of preparing and excitement for the potential dream man.  It makes me smile and think of my favorite Jane Austen novels.  I just can't be bothered by thinking like that, at least all the time.  It's stressful!... and the over-analyzing (i.e. Could this guy I met last night be IT?) only sabotages the organic beauty that comes with the naturally flowing present. 

Basically, I don't think we have any control over when we meet someone who is right for us at any given moment.  It will happen when it is meant to happen.  It may fade if it is meant to fade.  I am comfortable being single and I have faith that there may be some guys for me in the future, but it isn't really up to me.  At least that's one thing I don't stress over in my life ;)

1 comment: